Министерство образования и науки ЛНР
ГБОУ Стахановская специализированная школа I-III ступеней им. А.Стаханова
по теме: “ Strange Creatures” для 9 класса
Учитель: Самотугина В.В.
Тема: “ Strange Creatures “
Цель: - активизировать лексический материал по теме, обогатить словарь синонимами;
- развивать умения читать с извлечением конкретной информации, развивать устную монологическую речь;
- воспитывать любознательность, любовь к чтению и стойкий интерес к предмету;
Teacher: Which animals live in swamps? (jungle, farm, sea )What does it mean ‘endangered species’? Can you name some of them? Why do people kill crocodiles, elephants, tigers? What has been done to protect them?
II MAIN BODY
Task 1. Match the words to their meanings. 1. herbivores – animals living on land and in water 2. mammals – animals carrying their babies in pouches 3. carnivores - animals eating plants 4. amphibians - animals having babies, feeding them on milk 5.rodents – animals eating meat 6. marsupials – cold blooded animals with scaly skin, laying eggs 7. reptiles – animals with sharp front teeth
Task 2 Which category do the animals belong to? 1. cow, giraffe, sheep ( herbivores) 2. Tiger, cheetah, lion (cats) 3. Mouse rabbit, squirrel (rodents) 4. Dog, cat, dolphin (mammals) 5. Shark, wolf, jaguar (carnivores) 6. Kangaroo, koala, wombat (marsupials)
2. Presenting the topic
Teacher: The world of animals is amazing. They are scary but interesting to watch. People are fascinated by their characteristic calls, beauty and intelligence. There are also strange creatures in the world and sometimes it is hard to believe that they are real. Today we get know more about marsupials and flightless birds which live in Australia and New Zealand, and cannot be found anywhere else in the world.
Pre- reading activities
Teacher: What animals or birds do you know that are native to Australia or New Zealand? Look at the pictures. Which shows …. a Tasmanian devil, a cassowary, a koala, a kakapo, a penguin, a kangaroo, a platypus, a kiwi, an emu, a wombat?
Unknown words: bill - a bird’s beak; nocturnal – an animal which is active at night; pest – an animal that destroys crops or food supplies;=vermin; remote =far;
Teacher: What do you know about the animals on the pictures? Why are they strange? Read the text to find it out and explain the words in bold.
(Words in bold : pouch- a pocket of skin which marsupials use for carrying babies; source- a thing/place that you get sth from; eats its own weight- eats as much as it weighs; webbed feet- feet that have skin between the toes; poison-a dangerous substance that can cause death; survive- to continue to live; rarest- not found very often; migrate- travel regularly from one part of the world to another; extinct-type of animal that does not exist anymore; fierce- angry or ready to attack, looks very frightening; jaw- one of the two bones that teeth are in;)
Teacher: Find words which are similar to words in your own language.
Task 1. Give synonyms to highlighted words.
1.native=indigenous, local; 2.young= offspring ; 3.strangest= weirdest; 4.real=genuine; 5. pest= nuisance; 6.contact= communication; 7.rest=remainder; 8.hunt= prey on;
Task 2. Complete the sentences.
1. Koalas live, eat and sleep …. 2. Eucalyptus leaves are …. 3. British scientists refused to believe that platypus was …. 4. Platypus is a mammal but …. 5. It has …. 6. The cassowary lives …. 7. Farmers consider the emu …. 8. The kiwi sleeps …. 9. One of the world’s rarest birds is … 10. The kakapo is …. 11. During the winter months penguins ….. 12. The Tasmanian devil is a size of …. 13. It is called ‘devil’ because …. .
Task 3. Answer the questions.
1. Which animals/birds mentioned in the text are native to Australia/New Zealand? 2. Which animal/bird eats … a) dead sheep? b) eucalyptus leaves? c) frogs, worms, shellfish? d) famers’ crops? 3. List all of the a) marsupials b) flightless birds
Teacher: Make notes in your exercise books about each animal/bird under the headings below. Name; Type of category; Live; Eat; Look like; Behave; Other details;
Teacher: Choose one animal/bird , use your notes and tell the class about it.
1. Marks for the lesson
2. Homework. ( do some research and write a paragraph about an animal/bird native to your country. Present it to the class.)