1) Present Simple or Present Continuous.
Choose between the simple form and the continuous form to complete these pairs of sentences.
a) What are you thinking?
b) I think I am a genius, but my dad just thinks I`m crazy!
a) I must stay in because ______ a parcel.
b) I _______ you are tired after your walk. Come and sit down.
a) I _____ that the price of petrol has gone up 35% in the last year.
b) Dad`s cough is getting worse, so he ______ a doctor this afternoon.
a) This ice-cream ______ of garlic. I asked for chocolate flavour!
b) What are you doing? I ________ this cake to see if it`s cooked properly.
a) ______ you_______ a good time? No, I want to go home now.
b) ________ you _______ any money left? No, I`ve spent it all.
a) Don`t let me down. I ______ on you!
b) Do you love me? It ______ what you mean by “love”.
a) I _____ you must be tired after your long journey, Signor Polo.
b) There aren`t any ghosts in here! You ______ things.
a) What are you doing? I ______ myself.
b) How much ______ you _______? I don`t know, I can`t see the scales!
2. Past Simple or Past Continuous.
Complete the story using the verbs in brackets either in past simple or the past continuous tense.
This is a story about something that happened on board a cruise ship. The cruise ship (1) was going (go) from London to New York. A magician on board the cruise ship (2)_______(do) magic tricks to entertain the passengers. He (3) ______(have) a lot of very good tricks, and (4) _______(be) able to make things disappear and reappear in a really mystifying way.
Unfortunately for him, there was a parrot in the audience who kept giving the game away. The parrot (5) _____ (shout) things like “It`s up his sleeve!” or “It`s in his other hand!” and in this way the parrot (6) ______ (manage) to spoil all the magician`s tricks.
One day, the magician (7) _______(perform) his show as usual. This ship was in a particular dangerous part of the sea where there are icebergs. Suddenly, just as the magician (8) _____ (wave) his magic wand, the ship hit an iceberg and (9) _____ (sink) immediately.
The magician (10) ______ (find) a lifebelt, and (11) _____ (float) in the sea when the parrot (12) _____ (fly) up and landed on his lifebelt. The parrot and the magician (13) ______ (look) at each other for a while in silence, then the parrot (14) ______ (say): “OK, I give up. What (15) ______you ____ (do) with the ship?”
3. Past or Perfect
Complete the story using the forms of the verbs in the box.
Assured, have been listening, have both been misled, have ever even seen, have seen, heard, looked at, looked it up, phoned, went on
Two men were standing at a bus stop arguing about the spelling of a word.
“It`s spelt a-t-i-s-h-o-o” said the first.
“I (1) have seen it written down and I can assure you that it is spelled a-t-i-s-s-o-o” said the second.
“I`m sorry to contradict you” said the first, “but I (2) ______ in the dictionary a-t-i-s-s-o-o last night, and it is spelt a-t-i-s-h-o-o.”
“Then I suggest you throw your dictionary away, my friend! I (3) _________ my friend last night and he (4) ______ me that it is spelt a-t-i-s-s-o-o!”
And so it (5)_______.
Finally the lady who was standing nearby coughed politely.
“Gentlemen, forgive me. I (6) _____ to your argument and I an afraid you (7) ______. The spelling is t-i-s-s-u-e.”
The two men (8) _______ her in amazement. Finally one of them said:
“I doubt if you (9) _______ a yeti, let alone (10) ______ one sneeze!”
4. Narrative tenses
Complete the story using the forms of the verbs to help you.
Post Office clerks, however busy, must always keep their wits about them. One of them (1) h of the extraordinary mistakes that people sometimes make.
One day the office (2) ______was very busy and there were long queues at all the counters. People (3) ________ forms, writing cards wrapping up parcels and the counter staff were kept hard at work.
An old man who (4) _______ to her, came in with a letter which he (5) ______ to his son in America. The clerk (6) _________ the cost of the postage and supplied the necessary stamps. The old man (7) ______ his glasses and to save time the clerk (8) ______ the stamps on the envelope for him. It was a good thing (9) _______, for she discovered that the man (10) ______ letter to himself!
a) found out
b) had arrested
c) had forgotten
d) happened to be known
e) offered to stick
f) that she did
g) wanted to send
h) was telling me
i) were filling out
j) where she works
5. Future tenses
Put each sentence into the most suitable category. There is more than one example for some categories
1. PREDICTION _________________
2. SCHEDULE _________________
3. PERSONAL PLAN _________________
4. INTENTION _________________
5. FUTURE FACT _________________
a) “Are you ready? I will count to three…”
b) “Hurry up! The match starts at three o`clock and it`s half past two already!”
c) “I`m going to finish this homework if it kills me!”
d) “I`m gonna sit right down and write myself a letter” (popular song)
e) “It`s going to rain. Look at those clouds!”
f) Most of my friends are running in the London marathon next Sunday.
g) I`ll be working in Dubai next summer.
h) The President begins her tour of the Middle East next week.
i) “We are having a car-boot sale on Saturday. Why don`t you come along?”
j) “Will you be able to give the children a lift?”
k) “You are never going to pass your exams if you spend all your time playing games on your computer!”
1. Auxiliary verbs
A) Make questions using the words in brackets.
1. I like potatoes. Do you like potatoes? (you)
2. He got a letter this morning. ___________________? (you)
3. He studies physics. ___________________? (you)
4. I heard a strange noise. ___________________? (you)
5. My students are very clever. _______________? (your students)
6. Mary has read all the Harry Potter stories. _______________? (the other children)
7. Someone rang the doorbell. _______________? (you)
8. I need a glass of water. _______________? (anyone else)
B) Complete the sentences using the verb in its negative form.
1. I like potatoes but I don`t like cabbage.
2. I did the first test but ____________the second one.
3. Dad has washed the car but ______________the caravan.
4. He shook his head but __________ my hand!
5. I`ve got two brothers but ____________any sisters.
6. My parents speak Spanish but _______ Catalan.
7. He was looking at me but ________listening to me.
8. My sister plays the piano but ______ it very well.
A) Choose a, b or c to complete the verb phrases.
(A) work (B) working (C) worked
1. I am not b
2. I am ______________
3. I didn`t ____________
4. I don`t ____________
5. I have been_________
6. I have_____________
7. I was _____________
8. I will _____________
9. I will be ___________
B) Now use some of the above to complete the sentences.
1. I don`t work because I retired a year ago.
2. I had a good job but it was an easy one so I __________ very hard!
3. My hobby is embroidery and I ________ on a new pattern at the moment.
4. The weather is fine today so if you need me, I _________ in the garden.
5. I ________ on a plan for a new flower bed but the ground was not suitable.
6. I ________ in the garden every day but only when the weather is fine.
Choose the correct option to complete these sentences. In some cases more than one form may fit.
1. If you promise not to tell anyone, I will take you to the casino.
a) will take b) take c) am taking
2. If we _______bad times, we wouldn`t appreciate the good times.
a) wouldn`t have b) didn`t have c) don`t have
3. Did you hear about terrible train crash? I`m lucky I cancelled my trip. If I ______, I might have been on that train.
a) hadn`t b) didn`t c) wouldn`t
4. I wouldn`t have crashed the car if that tree ______there.
a) wouldn`t be b) was not c) hadn`t been
5. If you ________ your room to look nice, you should clean it yourself.
a) would want b) want c) will want
6. You won`t become a good guitarist unless you ________ every day.
a) practiced b) practise c) will practise
7. What difference would it make if we _______ here or not?
a) stayed b) are staying c) stay
8. If I _________ my life to live over again, I would do things very differently!
a) would have b) have had c) had
4. Reporting direct questions
Complete the sentences by reporting what was said.
1. “Where did the train come from?”- Mother wants to know where that train came from.
2. “What time did your son arrive home last night?”- I asked the father_________.
3. “What time does the main feature begin?”- I asked them what time__________.
4. “Shouldn`t you take an umbrella in case it rains?” – He wondered whether we ______.
5. “Have you found a pair that you like?”- I simply asked her if _______.
1. Passive forms
Rewrite these sentences in the passive.
1. The airline has announced a delay.- A delay has been announced.
2. Somebody wants you on the phone. – You ____________.
3. You must keep the documents in a safe place. – The documents _________.
4. Is someone giving you a lift tonight? – Are you ___________?
5. They are going to replace the old town bridge soon.- The old town bridge _________.
6. Has anybody delivered the mail yet? – Has the mail __________?
7. The receptionist told us to go to the waiting room.- We __________.
8. If the garage had serviced the car properly, it wouldn`t have broken down. – If the car_______, it wouldn`t have broken down.
9. You have to defrost the pizza before you cook it.- The pizza ___________.
2. Active or passive?
Complete the answers to the questions using the forms of the verbs.
1. was asked/ asked
a) What did the police say to you? They asked me to make a statement.
b) What happened to you at the police station? I was asked to make a statement.
2.have been promised/ has promised
a) Are you getting more money next year? __________ a pay rise.
b) What has the boss said about our pay? __________ a pay rise.
3. going to be given/ going to give
a) What is the teacher going to do next? ___________our new timetables.
b) What happens next? ___________our new timetables.
4. will be sent/ will send
a) How will I hear about my exam results? _________ a letter.
b) Will the school let me know my results? _________ a letter.
5. were shown/ showed
a) What did you learn in cookery class today? ________ how to make an omelette.
b) What did the cookery teacher do today? ________ how to make an omelette.
6. were told/ told
a) What did the receptionist say to you? _______to wait outside.
b) Why aren`t you inside? _______to wait outside.
3. Modal verbs: can, could or be able to
Complete these sentences using the forms of the verbs in the box.
Can, could, be able to, been able to, being able to
1. I used to be able to speak Italian quite fluently when I was younger.
2. I ________ not see you tonight.
3. Have you _______ get any more information?
4. I`m sorry I ______ not come online earlier.
5. If you are short of money, I might _____ lend you some.
6. I ______not find the bottle opener, so I just broke the top off.
7. I should ______ finish it by Friday.
8. It was terrible to be in the same room without ______talk to you.
9. How did the thief get in without disturbing us? He must have ______open the window without breaking the glass.
10. You _____ borrow my dictionary if you have lost yours.
11. Interpreters have to ______ translate without thinking.
12. Do you think you will ______ finish on time?
4. Modal verbs of deduction
Complete the dialogue using the forms of the modal verbs in the box.
Must, must have, may, may have, can, can`t, can`t have, could, could have, might, might have
Ann: What`s that in the garden?
Joe: It (1) must be (be) a bird of some kind.
Ann: It (2) _____ (be) a bird. It hasn`t got any wings. Birds have wings.
Joe: It (3) ______(be) a flightless bird like the ones they have in New Zealand.
Ann: It (4) ______(be) from New Zealand, surely! I mean how did it get here?
Joe: It (5) ______(fly) here, I suppose.
Ann: It (6) ______(fly) here. It`s flightless, remember!
Joe: You are right. It (7) ______ (escape) from a zoo. And then walked into our garden.
Ann: Do you think we ought to tell someone?
Joe: No, if we leave it alone, it (8) ______ just (fly away).
Ann: Don`t you mean “walk away”?
5. Must or have to
Complete these sentences using a form of have to or must. In some cases, more than one form may fit.
1. Helen`s very busy: she has had to attend five conferences this month.
2. I see you have had another accident. You really _____ be more careful in future!
3. How many people took part in the London Marathon? It _______ be over 25000!
4. Michael might _______go to the hospital next week for a check-up.
5. How are you today, Mrs. Smith? Not too bad, thank you. I ______ complain.
6. I know you have to practise to become a professional drummer, but you ____make such noise, surely?
7. You ______be surprised if the boss suddenly throws a book at you. It`s just his way of keeping the employees on their toes!
8. There is a sign in the office which says:”You ______be mad to work here, but it helps!”
9. There was only a short queue so we _______ wait long.
10. Tenants ____ keep pets in the house.
1. Verbs beginning with em- or en-
A) Match each verb with its definitions.
1. enrich a) apply a law or rule
2. enable b) give support to
3. enclose c) surround
4. encourage d) put in an envelope or letter
5. endanger e) give power or authority to
6. enforce f) make bitter
7. enlarge g) make bigger
8. empower h) make certain
9. embitter i) make possible
10. ensure j) make richer or better
11. encircle k) put at risk
B) Complete these sentences with some of the above verbs, making any necessary changes.
1. Did you know that plutonium is simply enriched uranium?
2. From an early age, Mozart was _____ by his father to compose music.
3. Please find ______ a copy of my CV.
4. There is no point in passing law that cannot be ______.
5. The black rhino is an _______species: there are only a few left in the world.
6. I intend to get this photograph of our local football team ______ so that I can frame it and hang it over my bed.
7. Please ________that your seatbelts are fastened and your seat is in the upright position.
8. The driving mirror in a car______ you to see what is behind you without having to turn your head.
2. Word building
A) Complete the table with the appropriate forms of the words.
B) Now complete these sentences with the verbs from the table, making any necessary changes.
1. He told me meet him at the airport, but he didn`t specify which terminal.
2. The only way to _______ is by spending less!
3. It`s a good idea praise students sometimes instead of always _____ them!
4. We should try to _____ the use of the lecture theatre; at the moment it is only used twice a week at the most.
5. The saying goes: “Travel ______ the mind”, but it is only true if you have an open mind in the first place.
6. Big dogs with big teeth _______me, but little dogs don`t scare me at all.
7. The farmers give the turkeys lots of corn to _____ them up for Christmas.
3. Common verb prefixes 1
Replace the words in bold type using the verbs in brackets and the appropriate prefix from the box. The first one has been done as an example.
co- de- dis- over- un- under-
1. It`s hot here: why don`t you undo the buttons on your shirt? (button) UNBUTTON
2. I`m sure the shop made me pay too much. (change) _____________.
3. Take everything out of your suitcase. (pack) ___________.
4. All my pens have vanished. I can`t find one anywhere! (appear) _________.
5. I`m sorry I`m late: I didn`t wake up at my usual time. (sleep) ___________.
6. I`ve just taken this chicken and mushroom pie out of the oven, do I need to let it thaw completely before I cook it? (frost) _________.
7. If you do not carry out your orders, you will be punished. (obey) _________.
8. Let`s try to learn to work together instead of fighting each other! (operate) _______.
9. SZKKB YRIGSWZB- can you work out the meaning of this message? By the way it`s my birthday today! (code) _____.
10. I may not have the same opinion as you, but you have the right to say what you think. (agree) ______.
11. Avoid meat that is too rare. (cook) ______.
12. The State of California decided to remove the regulations from the electricity industry with the result that prices went up over 300 % in one year. (regulate) _______.
13. A crazy driver came level with and passed me on a blind bend today. He must think he has X-ray eyes to see round the corners! (take) _______.
14. Tricia and Louise wrote a book together. (author)______.
15. The plane came in so fast that it went beyond the end of the runway. (shoot) ______.
16. Is it possible for humans and animals to share the planet? (exist) _____.
4. Common verb prefixes 2
A) Combine the verbs with the prefixes. Some verbs may take more than one prefix.
B) Now use some of the above verbs to complete the sentences. Use the verb in brackets.
1. Do you think Rachel deliberately ______ us when she said she was going to marry a prince? It turns out she`s married a man called Michael Prince! (lead)
2. This outfit doesn`t fit my baby any more. I bought it only a month ago, and she`s already _____ it. (grow)
3. My essay was full of spelling mistakes so the teacher made me _____ the whole thing. (write)
4. John owed his mother a thousand pounds, and he has _____ every penny. (pay)
5. Nostradamus predicted many things; he even ____ the two world wars of the twentieth century. (tell)
Replace the words in bold type with an idiom from the box, making any necessary changes.
Beat about the bush, catch sight of, fly off the handle, go dutch, look on the bright side, mind your own business, pull your leg, start from scratch, vanish into thin air, wear your heart on your sleeve
1. The dog is nowhere to be found. He has completely disappeared! – vanished into thin air
2. When I said your room was a mess, I was just teasing you. __________
3. There`s no need to get angry and shout every time the children do something wrong. ________
4. Jack said he would pay for our meal, but we said it was much better if we each paid for our own.______
5. Every time I get a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I realize I`m getting older and fatter! _______
6. Please stop avoiding the subject.______
7. I had nearly completed the jigsaw puzzle when the cat knocked it on the floor, so I had to begin all over again. _____
8. You can always tell what Tracy is feeling: she can`t help showing her emotions. ______
9. I know you are upset about the scratches on your car but think positively: at least they didn`t actually steal it. _____
10. “Why are you all dressed up? Are you going out?” “It`s got nothing to do with you!” _______.
Краткое описание документа:
|Включите уведомления прямо сейчас и мы сразу сообщим Вам о важных новостях. Не волнуйтесь, мы будем отправлять только самое главное.|