1. What can people see in the capital of Russia?
2. What souvenirs may tourists buy in Moscow?
3. What famous people live/lived and work/worked in Moscow?.
4. Have you ever been to Moscow?
5. Which is you favourite place in Moscow? Why?/ Which place in Moscow would you like to visit? Why?
1. Moscow is the heart of Russia, its capital. There is a lot to see in Moscow. But first of all ( в первую очередь, сначала) you should visit Red Square and watch the most ancient monument of Red Square St. Basil’s Cathedral. St. Basil’s Cathedral is a real masterpiece (шедевр, лучший образец) of ancient Russian architecture. Nobody is indifferent to its nine beautifully painted cupolas. In Red Square you can also see the monument to Minin and Pozharsky, Lobnoye Mesto (the tsar’s orders were read from it), the Spasskaya Tower, the Lenin Mausoleum, the State History Museum and the State Department Store. Other places worth visiting and watching in Moscow are the Kremlin, the Cathedral of Christ [krist] the Savior (Храм Христа Спасителя) - one of the biggest cathedrals in Europe, the State Tretyakov Gallery, the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, the Bolshoi Theatre and a lot of monuments to famous people who lived and worked in Moscow.
2. These people are poets Pushkin and Mayakovskiy, composers Rukchmaninov and Tchaikovsky, scientists Lomonosov and Mendeleyev, the first cosmonaut Gagarin and others.
3. A lot of tourists visit Moscow and they usually buy such traditional Russian souvenirs as Matryoshka dolls, beautifully painted mugs (кружки), Khokhloma plates and spoons, Palekh boxes. Those who have more money buy amber (янтарь) and art books. Some tourists are interested in badges (значки), T-shirts and Russian ushanka-hats.
4. (Yes, I have. It was last summer. ) I have been to Moscow once/twice/several times. I saw most of the sights, like Red Square and the Kremlin, old cathedrals and the State Kremlin Palace. I relaxed at cafes and I even went on a riverboat tour at night. It was fantastic. // Unfortunately, I have never been to Moscow. Visiting Moscow is my dream.
5.My favourite place in Moscow is the Kremlin because it is very impressive (впечатляющий). On the territory of the Kremlin you can see old cathedrals, the Bell Tower of Ivan the Great, the State Kremlin Palace, the Tsar Cannon and the Tsar Bell, the biggest cannon and bell in the world. The Kremlin centre looks truly magnificent (великолепный) today. // Being in Moscow, I would like to visit the Kremlin because … .
2. THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
1. Why do you learn English?
2. What do you feel about learning English grammar and words?
3. Are there any problems for learners of English?
4. What advice would you give to people who are just beginning to learn English?
5. Would you like to learn English abroad? Why?
1. The English language is the international language. It is seen as a way of crossing the barriers created by different cultures, religions and native languages. A lot of people learn it to have a successful career. As for me, I learn English because it expands (расширяет) my horizons and prepares me for a successful career. Besides, English attracts me because it’s the language of business and computers. English is also very useful when you travel abroad. More than that, it’s a good exercise for the intellect, though, of course, it’s a tricky (сложный, запутанный) language to learn because there seems to be more exceptions than rules. I think that English will be more widely spoken in the future. That’s why I learn English.
2. I learn English at school 5 times a week. We read a lot of different texts in English, speak on different topics in English, listen to CDs and watch videos. Of course, we learn grammar and words, too. I think we will not know English well if we don’t know its grammar. I understand that grammar is very important, that is why we have a lot of drills in grammar and I try my best. We practice grammar together with vocabulary. We retell a lot of texts and thus we learn a lot of words. Also I remember words better if they are related to my interests.
3. One of the problems for learners of English and me is phrasal verbs and idioms. They are very difficult. English intonation is hard too. It is important to learn both formal and informal English to be polite. Learning social English is very useful.
4. If someone is just beginning to learn English, I would advise them to read as much as possible. Reading is very helpful. You may read books, newspapers, magazines. If there are words which you don’t know it is good to guess their meaning from the context. A nice idea is to look words up in the dictionary and make a note of them. Listening to pop music and the radio, watching videos and educational TV programmes in English can be useful too.
5. If I had a chance I would like to learn English abroad because there you can speak English from morning till night with native speakers. And as a result you can improve your English greatly, especially your vocabulary and social English. They say that after spending a year abroad you begin to speak English fluently.
3. YOUR FAMILY
1. How big is your family?
2. What are your relatives like and what do they look like?
3. Are there any traditions in your family?
4. What are the qualities that make a good parent?
5. What is an ideal family as you see it?
1. My family is very small. I’ve got a mum and a dad, but I haven’t got any brothers or sisters. I’m an only child, but I have lots of cousins. // (There are four people in my family: my father, my mother, my brother (sister) and me.)
2. My mother is a …………………………… . Her name is …………………………………. . She is tall (short/of medium height) and slim (thin). My mother‘s got short (long) curly (wavy/straight) dark (blonde/red/grey) hair and blue (green/grey/brown) eyes. She is very kind and friendly.
My father is a ……………………………….. . His name is ………………………………….. . He is tall ( short/of medium height) and slim (thin). My father’s got short (long) curly (wavy/straight) dark (blond/red/grey) hair and blue (green/grey/brown) eyes. He is clever and handsome.
My younger (elder) sister (brother) is … …. years old. He (she) is (not)a pupil. His (her) name is ……….. . My sister (brother) is tall (short/of medium height) and slim (thin/plump). He (she)’s got short (long) curly (wavy/straight/) dark (blond(e)/red) hair and blue (green/grey/brown) eyes. He (she) likes to play active games. My brother (sister) is never tired and is seldom quiet. He (she ) got a very rich imagination.
(He/She likes to read/watch TV/play chess a lot. But sometimes he/she is lazy)
The oldest member of our family is our granny. You can hardly believe it but she is about 80/90. Her name is ……………………….. . She is ……………………………………………………………………………
She’s got funny wrinkles on her face and round glasses.
Our granny is very interested in life and she is fond of gardening.
All the members of our family are hospitable. Our friends often come to see us and we all have wonderful parties.
3. There are some traditions in my family: we spend all holidays together, at weekends we like to go to the country, and in summer we always travel to the south. In the evening we get together in our kitchen and discuss the last day.
4. I think a good parent should be loving (любящий), caring (заботливый), patient (терпеливый), having a good sense of humour and reasonably strict.
5. I think an ideal family is a family where they respect each other, where you have comfort and protection.
1. What do people usually read?
2. What types of books do they read?
3. Who is your favourite writer? Which is your favoutrite book of this writer?
4. What books would you like to read on your holidays? Why?
5. What do you like to read during your trip to somewhere? Why?
1. Nowadays people usually read newspapers, magazines and books. I am sure that reading plays an important role in our lives, because it forms our moral values, helps us to learn how to express our thoughts and feelings more exactly. I think reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
2. People read different kinds of books: fiction (художественная литература), non-fiction (документальная литература), science fiction (научная фантастика), drama, poetry. Fiction books are novels, short stories (detective stories, adventure stories, fantasy[s] stories, humorous stories, spy stories), thrillers. Non-fiction books are popular science (популярная научная литература), biographies, autobiographies, documentaries, diaries, memoirs[‘memwa:z] (мемуары). Science fiction books are space adventures, aliens, monsters, timetravel. Poetry consists of verses, rhymes, odes. Folk tales, fairy tales, myths and ballads are folklore. These books appeal to different readers.
3. My favourite writer is ………………………………..I like this writer because he possesses such qualities as an ability to portray life very truthfully, an ability to describe nature (wildlife) with love and understanding, an ability to make people laugh or cry, an ability to depict characters so vividly(ярко) that people immediately recognize themselves, an ability to amuse(забавлять, развлекать) the reader, an ability to arouse a feeling of admiration. My favourite books of this writer are ……………………………………………………………….. .
4.On my holidays I would like to read books according to my school program because holidays are the best time for this.
5. During my trip to somewhere I like to read short stories, such as love stories, detective stories or articles from magazines and newspapers.
5. PEOPLE’S HOBBIES
1. What kinds of activities do people usually have?
2. How do you feel about these activities?
3. Why should we have hobbies?
4. Which is the most popular pastime with your classmates?
5. Is there any kind of hobby you would like to have, but you can’t? Why?
1. A hobby is a favourite pastime of a person. Hobbies differ like tastes. They can be divided into four groups: doing things, making things, collecting things and learning things. Doing things includes gardening, traveling, playing chess and other games. Making things includes drawings, painting, making sculptures, designing costumes and handcrafts. Almost everyone collects something at some period in his life: stamps, coins, matchboxes, books, records, toys, watches. Learning things can be the most exciting (увлекательный) hobby. It includes learning to play some musical instrument, learning some foreign language, reading.
2. As for me my hobby is reading/sport/… . I find it interesting and useful. I have been interested in … for … years. I spend all my free time reading/ visiting a gym/ …
3. I am sure we should have hobbies because they help us to relax and be in good mood. A hobby is a perfect way not to feel bored. Besides, hobbies are often educational as people enjoy learning new things. For example, stamp collecting can tell you lots of different things about the theme of your collection. What is more, having a hobby is a good chance to find like-minded (имеющий аналогичную точку зрения) friends.
4. The most popular pastime with my classmates is …
5. I would like to have travelling as a hobby but I can’t afford (позволить) it because it costs a lot of money.
6. OLYMPIC GAMES
1. Where and when did the last Olympic Games take place? What sports were included into the Games?
2. Russian athletes who took part and the records set during the Games?
3. What was the central event and the central figure of the Games?
4. What can you say about the role of the Olympics in modern life?
5. Is there any difference between the modern Olympic Games and the original Olympic Games?
1. The Olympic Games are an international sports festival. The last Olympic Games took place in Canada in 2010. These Games were winter Olympic Games. They were held in … . Athletes from … countries competed in … sports: figure skating, hockey, biathlon, cross country skiing, ski-jumping and some others. The team of Canadian sportsmen took the first place. Russia took the eleventh place. It was the worst result of our team since its participation in the Olympics. Russian team won 3 gold medals, 5 silver medals and 11 bronze medals.
2. I watched these Games on TV. Figure skating competitions were the most exciting and unforgettable event for me. I was glad and proud that our country-woman Oksana Domnina won the bronze medal in figure skating. Other Russian winners of the Olympics are Nikita Krukov, a skier, Yevgeni Ustugov, a biathlonist, and a women team in biathlon.
3. I think the central event of the game was the opening of the Games. It was a very spectacular ceremony. Especially I liked the lightning of the Olympic flame. It was brought from Greece to the capital of the Games by relay (эстафета). As for the central figure of the games it is very difficult to distinguish only one person. I think all winners of the Olympic games became central figures of the Games.
4. In modern life the Olympic Games bring people and countries together. Any national conflict must be stopped and replaced with friendly competitions. Not only athletes wait for the Olympics, all sports fans are impatient too. When the Games begin, television broadcasts the events to millions of people. Unification of all people is the noble idea of the modern Olympic movement.
5. The main difference between the ancient and modern Olympics is that the ancient Olympic Games were a way of saluting the gods, whereas/while the modern Games are a manner of saluting the athletic talents of people. The original Olympics included competitions in music, oratory [`orэtэri] and theatre performances. The modern Games haven’t got them. The modern Olympic Games represent only different kinds of sport. In the ancient Olympics only one athletic event was held – a footrace, and only men were allowed to compete and watch the games. In modern Olympic Games both men and women take part and watch them alive or on TV. In ancient Olympics only summer games took place. In modern Olympics both summer and winter Olympics are held.
7. SPORT and GAMES in YOUR LIFE
1. What sports and games are popular in your city/town/country?
2. Why do/don’t you go in for this or that sport?
3. What are your school PE lessons like?
4. Have you ever watched competitions at the stadium? What were your impressions?
5. What sports or games can you call the most useful for health? Why?
1. I live in a small provincial town of Kirovo-Chepetsk. My town is young but it is famous for its sports results all over the world. The fact is that Kirovo-Chepetsk is a birthplace of some Olympic, world and European champions. They are hockey-players Maltsev, Myshkin, Trefilov, swimmers Yana Shamarova, Masha Rodygina, a wrestler [`reslэ] (борец) … others. All seasons are well distinguished (проявляются) in our town so different sports are popular in it. The most popular are skiing, speed skating, hockey, biathlon, swimming, boxing, wrestling and rhythmic gymnastics.
-I love many sports, but my favourite sport is skating. I like this sport because I love winter and frosty weather. I first skated when I was four. My parents taught me to skate. We used to go to the skating rink twice a week, on Saturdays and Sundays. They helped me and explained what to do: how to fall, to stand after falling and to push away (отталкиваться). I tried my best. It took me some days and soon I began to skate on my own. It was great! Now I can skate rather well and go to the skating rink with my friends. Sometimes my classmates and I go to Olymp Arena and spend an hour there. Skating helps me to stay in good shape, to keep fit and to be healthy. Besides, it helps me to work off my extra energy. The equipment you need for skating is very simple – skates and clothes. The clothes are very important. They should be light and warm. Mittens or gloves are necessary, too. I love skating because it is a very good exercise for the whole body. I would recommend it because it is so convenient to do: you can skate when you like and for as long as you like.
-I enjoy many sports, but best of all I love swimming. I like this sport because I love the water very much. I started to learn swimming when I was about seven years old. At first I learned to float in the water. A swimming board helped me. Then they taught me to jump into the water from the border of a pool. After that I learnt some basic swimming strokes (стили плавания) like breast-stroke (брас), back-stroke (плавание на спине), butterfly-stroke (баттерфляй) and crawl (кроль). I used to go swimming twice a week. Now I have less free time, but I visit a swimming pool at least once a week. Swimming helps me to stay in good shape, to keep fit and to be healthy. Besides, it helps me to work off my extra energy. Swimming is an inexpensive and simple sport. You do not need any complicated equipment. You just need a swimming costume or trunks and a cap. I love swimming because it is a very good exercise for the whole body. I would recommend it because it is so convenient to do: you can swim when you like and for as long as you like.
3. We have three PE lessons a week. There we run, jump, play basketball, volleyball. In winter we ski. I like these lessons very much. // I don’t like these lessons because am not good at sport.
4. I have watched competitions at the stadium. It was great! Watching competition at the stadium is so exciting! I was pleased and cheered the sportsmen. We cried ‘Hurrey!’, ‘Cheerly!’ (Давай-давай! Вперед!) and applauded.
5. I think the most useful for health is swimming because swimming is a very good exercise for the whole body.
1. What kinds of arts do you know?
2. Which is your favourite art?
3. What can you say about your last visit to the theatre, cinema, museum or concert?
4. Where do you go if you want to enjoy arts?
5. Can you do anything in the way of arts yourself? What can you do? / What art would you like to be really
1.There are different arts: literature, dancing, music, paintings and drawings, sculpture, architecture, theatre, cinema.
2.My favourite art is music. We can hear music everywhere: in the streets and at home, over the radio and on TV, in the shops and in the parks. People listen to music, they dance to music, sing songs, they learn to play musical instruments. There are different kinds of music: folk music, classical music, jazz, pop music, dance music, blues, rock, chamber music, background music, spiritual music.
My favourite style of music is pop music because it is full of energy. It helps me to forget the problem of everyday life. It also helps me to relax when I’m tired.
I wouldn’t mind listening to dance music. It makes me more energetic.
I enjoy listening to classical music too. I find it tuneful (мелодичный, гармоничный) and appealing (притягательный). Classical music gives me pleasure and a sense of happiness. Some pieces of classical music are really wonderful. My favourite composers are Tchaikovsky, Rakhmaninov and Sviridov.
3. My last visit to the theatre was last moth. My friends and I (family) went to the Drama Theatre top see the ballet “Sleeping Beauty”. We took the bus, as the Drama Theatre is in the centre of Kirov. It took us an hour to get there. When we arrived at the theatre, we could see many people in the hall. Some of them had programmes in their hands. My mother (friend) bought one for us. Then she/he led the way to our seats. They were not expensive but we could see the stage very well. Then the lights went down and the curtain rose. We could see a beautiful palace on the stage and we could hear beautiful music. The scenery was fantastic. I like the ballet very much. The leading dancer was so good, that when the performance was over there was a storm of applause. We enjoyed the performance greatly.
4. If I want to enjoy art, I go to some museum, art gallery, theatre, concert hall or cinema.
5. I can paint and play the piano, I am fond of dancing. // I would like to be really good at painting/playing the piano/sining. That’s why I go to art school/musical school/chorus.
9. YOUR SCHOOL
1. What are the place, building and rooms of your school like?
2. What subjects do you study? Which of them do you like/dislike and why?
3. What are the teachers and your classmates like?
4. What is your typical school day like?
5. What makes you like or dislike your school?
1.I am a pupil of Gymnasium number 2. It is situated not far from my block of flats. The gymnasium occupies a three-storey building. In front of the building there is a platform, two large flower-beds and a ground for the ceremonial welcome on the First of September. On the other side of the building there is a basketball play ground. On the territory of our gymnasium there is a lot of green.
The gymnasium is well-equipped. It has lots of classrooms with modern facilities, including computers and smart-boards. The gymnasium also has two computer classes where we study Information Technology, an assembly hall, a library, two gyms and a canteen.
2. At school I study different subjects. They are Russian. Literature, History, Geography, Maths, English, PE, and others. My favourite ones are … I like these subjects because I am good at them. I am not very good at exact sciences. That’s why I don’t like maths and physics. I don’t like chemistry either. //I am not interested in History, Biology and Literature. That’s why I don’t like these subjects.
3. Our teachers are friendly and well-qualified although they are sometimes very strict. My classmates are nice and friendly pupils. They are all different.
4. My typical school day begins at 7 o’clock when I usually get up. In the morning I don’t do exercises but I take a shower, wash my hands and face. Then I dress, have breakfast and go to school. At school I have 6 or 7 lessons. During the break I have lunch. My school is over at about 2 o’clock and I go home. At home I have dinner, relax listening to music or watching TV and do my homework. In the evening I have supper with my family. I go to bed at 10 o’clock in the evening.
5. I like my school because it gives its pupils profound knowledge in Russian, English and other academic (академический, учебный теоретический) subjects. I enjoy studying in my gymnasium, yet there are some things I would like to change. First, our canteen is rather small and there are always large queues during the breaks. I would like to introduce(внедрять, помещать) a large coffee bar for students with lots of coffee machines where we could easily have a cup of coffee or tea with a sandwich during all the breaks. Another thing would be a music studio where we could play and record music. We don’t have a uniform in our gymnasium because many pupils are against it. But I think it’s important to have a special uniform in the gymnasium because it will make us feel different from the pupils of other schools.
Номер материала: ДВ-063158
Вам будут интересны эти курсы: